Manomet Animal Hospital Quality care for you and your pet with a personal touch
Along with holiday and winter fun come a host of hazards for pets - ingested substances that can be harmful or even cause death.
Chocolate or Coffee Vomiting, rapid hear rate and signs of anxiety can be seen with the ingestion of as little as 1/4 ounce of baking chocolate by a 10-pound dog. Coffee can produce the same effects.
Christmas Tree Preservatives/Water Preservative may contain fertilizers, which, if ingested, can upset the stomach. Stagnant tree water can be a breeding ground for bacteria, leading to vomiting, nausea, and diarrhea.
Holly, Mistletoe, Lilies, and Poinsettia Eating holly can produce nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and lethargy. If a dog or cat ingests mistletoe, gastrointestinal upset and possibly cardiovascular problems can result. All parts of lilies are highly toxic to cats, with the potential to produce life-threatening kidney failure even from small ingestions. While toxic potential of poinsettia has been exaggerated, mild stomach upset could still occur.
Ornaments, Ribbons, & Tinsel While none of these are directly toxic, ribbon and tinsel can cause life-threatening gastrointestinal blockage.
Yeast Dough Raw yeast dough ca rise in the stomach and cause extreme discomfort. Pets mat experience abdominal pain, bloat, vomiting, disorientation, and depression. Since a breakdown product of rising dough is alcohol, it can also cause alcohol poisoning. Many yeast ingestions require surgical intervention, and even small amounts can be dangerous.
Garlic, Onions, & Chives Eating holly can produce nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and lethargy. If a dog or cat ingests mistletoe, gastrointestinal upset and possibly cardiovascular problems can result. All parts of lilies are highly toxic to cats, with the potential to produce life-threatening kidney failure even from small ingestions. While toxic potential of poinsettia has been exaggerated, mild stomach upset could still occur.
Macadamia Nuts In dogs, ingestions can produce vomiting, weakness (particularly in the hind legs), depression, lack of coordination, tremors.
Grapes and Raisins Ingestions of grapes and raisins have been associated with acute kidney failure in dogs.
Alcoholic Beverages If ingested, alcohol can potentially result in vomiting, diarrhea, lack of coordination, central nervous system depression, difficulty breathing, tremors, acidosis, coma, and even death.
Antifreeze Antifreeze products containing ethylene glycol are highly toxic and can produce life threatening kidney damage, even in small amounts. Many windshield washer products contain methanol, which if ingested can cause drooling, vomiting, drunkenness and severe central nervous system depression.
Ice Melt Ice melt products mat contain ingredients that can be very irritating to the skin and gastrointestinal tract, and could also potentially result in more severe effects including depression, weakness, disorientation, low blood pressure, cardiac problems, seizures, coma and death depending on the type of ice melt and circumstance of exposure.
Table Food, (Fatty, Spicy), Moldy Foods, Poultry Bones Poultry bones can splinter and cause damage or blockage in the gastrointestinal tract. Spicy of fatty foods can lead to inflammation of the pancreas. Moldy or spoiled foods could produce food poisoning, tremors, or seizures.